Saturday, July 16, 2011

blessed

I don't nearly write on this as often as I think of things. I have several things going through my head right now but one is always there...Mexico. I think about Juarez and Acuna often. Sometimes I take walks by myself to just think and today was one of those days. As I was walking thru WIU campus, I noticed the construction. Not that I hadn't noticed it before but it made me think a different way today. They are redoing the main road thru campus, the road I know most students and people who drive on it say it is about time they redid that road. Well it reminded me of Mexico. Driving thru Juarez constantly bouncing in our truck, seeing the Mexican workers on the side of the road volcano mixing concrete for sidewalks. It hit me how blessed we are. There were so many machines and fancy things for redoing this road. They have unions for the construction workers so they get paid fairly. And in Juarez they don't have that. Shovels and hand trowels are their tools and if you don't show up for work you may not have a job when you come back. Also I was walking by myself, which in Juarez you don't do. I feel safe here to go out and do things alone when in Juarez you always have someone with you.

Yes, I feel blessed for all of those things and so much more. Sometimes I forget and then I get that slap in the face because I catch myself wanting more and I feel guilty. But while being thankful for what I have is good, it doesn't help the knot in my stomach when I think about all the families that don't have adequate housing. It breaks my heart and it makes me wish I could do more cause I feel so selfish.

I am extremely blessed and I know it. I'm writing this in an air conditioned apt with running water that I share with some crazy (in the good way) roommates (who aren't here at the moment). I have AWESOME friends, AMAZING family, a job I like which gives me income, and in a year I'll done with my bachelors. God is great and I thank him everyday for what he has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment