Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mexico

Any one who knows me knows I love Mexico. I tend to talk about it a lot especially when I have my pictures around me. Last summer was probably the best/hardest/most life changing summer of my life. It has made me who I am today and I will never forget it. Not only do I have pictures and memories, I got Amor tattooed on my wrist last December as a constant reminder of what God did in my life last summer.

Why am I talking about this now? Well this summer Casas por Cristo hired interns and then had to tell them they couldn't come because there were not teams for them to lead. 4 of those 7 decided to say "who needs teams? let's still go and build" They put their faith in God to raise money and keep them safe all summer to build houses for 10 families. Here is their video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fSy65ch4mI&feature=channel_video_title

They absolutely inspire me. Would I have been able to do that? They really show how much faith they have in God to be able to do that. In 2007, they built 405 houses in Juarez alone. This year in Juarez they are scheduled to build 75. It breaks my heart that in less than 5 years, there has been an 80% decrease in building in Juarez. Yes there is violence. I'm not ignoring that fact. But don't we serve a God who is bigger than that? Bigger than everything the world can throw at us?

There are shooting everyday here in the US. What makes Juarez different from here? Is it that we are just too comfortable in our own locked houses with comfy couches and air conditioning? Are you just to callus to the hurt the world is in? Or do you not trust in God that he will keep us safe?

Matthew 28: 19-20 says "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." First thing Jesus said is GO. He doesn't say stay in your comfy home and let things happen. GO and make disciples.

They never said being a Christian was easy.

1 Peter 4:12-19 says "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And, “If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?” So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good."

This has been on my heart lately. And it just came out this morning when I watched the video about those crazy interns. I wish I could do more for the people in Mexico.

These people are the ones I called family last summer and still think of them as such.

My tattoo. Amor is Spanish for love.

Two beautiful girls who now have a home to live in because God is good! I'm so thankful I got to be a part of building their home.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize it had decreased SO much. I hope CSC is one of the 75 scheduled to build!

    ReplyDelete