Saturday, June 26, 2010

On my own but not really





This week was my first solo build. Man was I nervous. Got up super early and loaded my truck with my stuff and stuff I needed from Casas. Then waited for the team to get there at 6 am. I took a van and headed off to get tools from the warehouse because I was the only one that needed to go get them from central. We met back up with them at the SHOC. Then we headed to our site which was a whole 2 minutes from the SHOC. I was so nervous and I could feel my voice shaking and my throat going dry. We got the form squared and leveled and all the wood cut. I marked plates and had them build walls and a roof section. Our concrete truck was 2 hours late. After we poured, most of the team went back to the SHOC and I stayed behind with Ed and Mike to finish the slab. The family fed the three of us...I don't know what it was but it was delicious. After siesta we stood walls(and squared and leveled them) and put on blackboard. It was a very interesting day. That night we had worship and devos and I got to know my team a little bit deeper. I absolutely loved my team! They really worked well together and they were ready and willing. Next day was a little smoother for me. I felt a lot more comfortable leading. We got the roof done, chicken wire done (complete with corner beads and j-channels), insulation done, wiring pulled, windows in(after some frustration), soffit done, and the ceiling drywall in one room. That night we had worship and devos again. I really like worshiping it just brings me closer to God. Next day we finished dry wall, electrical, stucco, and put in the door. The team also taped and mudded and then painted the house. That night we invited the 5 families the church was building for over for dinner. It turned into more of a community thing. Our family couldn't make it because the Grandma had a doctor appointment and they didn't get back in time. We worshiped afterwords(have I mentioned that I love that?). It started storming so I resorted back to childish ways and played in the rain while 3 groups were at their dedications. The storm was amazing! I miss the rain. Thursday morning we got up and dedicated the house. By the time we left, everyone was crying. It was amazing to see what God can do in just a few short days. :D We crossed over and I got a little sad. So far I've been blessed with good groups and I'm sad to see them leave. Kevin and I had to cross back into Juarez to check on the fire families. A political party decided to help out and build them houses out of cinder blocks. We check on them and then headed back to meet our team for dinner. Dinner was good but it meant it was time for good byes. I don't like it. I'm hoping to keep in touch and form some bonds.

This week I was on my own, but I'm never really on my own. God is always there looking out for me. Guiding me and helping me in my times of need. I could not have made it through the week without him. I'm loving life and the work I'm doing for the Lord!

<3 Lisa

1 comment:

  1. This blog post made me cry all over again! AND I'M NOT A CRIER! A member of the church group found your blog when he was searching the SHOC. I think it's great you're keeping this! I'm so glad I got to meet you last week! I can't believe we finished the house a week ago! Keep in touch! Looking forward to building again next year!

    ReplyDelete